Links and Stuff About US Contact Lunar
Welcome to Lunar Magazine
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good job tea party

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Politics and Philosophy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enemigo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: good job tea party Reply with quote

S&P downgrades US bond rating to AA+
J.E.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go..
yossarian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing but a bunch of assholes in DC. It's a shame that they're only interested in re-election. We could use some people out for the american people rather than their own asses.

My favorite "fix the budget" plan: If there has been, on average, a budget deficit in the past 6 years, you are no longer up for re-election.

Boom. Problem solved.
enemigo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.E. wrote:
Here ya go..

Did you read the S&P report?
enemigo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yossarian wrote:
My favorite "fix the budget" plan: If there has been, on average, a budget deficit in the past 6 years, you are no longer up for re-election.

Boom. Problem solved.

I think there should be term limits regardless. but awesome plan though.
djy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enemigo wrote:
J.E. wrote:
Here ya go..

Did you read the S&P report?

What percentage of the the debt is caused by the tea party opposed tax increases? According to a Washington Post article I read recently it was 14% (a pro tax increase article at that).

Let's stop playing stupid. Without unsustainable spending, we wouldn't be in nearly as pathetic a shape as we are. Tax increases at this point would hurt job creation. There are really only about 10 billion in spending cuts through the end of 2012, so minimal jobs impact there.

You can't discredit S&P and then use their report as a tool for propaganda. The administration spent two days attacking the assumptions in this report but some how it becomes gospel when referring to brinkmanship.

We would not be having this discussion at all if the economy was in good hands and there was sufficient tax revenue, not because of higher tax rates, but due to lower unemployment rates. Unfortunately, we are very far from that reality.
mrpink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has less to do with employment or tax revenue than with preposterous spending. if a 4 year old went into a candy store with her parents credit card, there's still a limit on how much she could buy. but our government just doesnt stop. it's like they think anything that can have money spent on it should and there are just no consequences. i literally think we would be in a better state if we were led by a bunch of 4 yr olds. there is zero sense of responsibility or leadership or planning to have gotten to this state. it is negligent and fraudulent and criminal imo. watch how much time and money our government spends getting themselves reelected.
it has nothing to do with partisanship or any other bs that's getting thrown around. it is simply reckless, irresponsible, out of control spending. does anyone feel they have gotten the appropriate value out of the money our govt has spent? consider how much our gov spends now vs simply 10 years ago. if we could have simply stayed at that level(which was also already insane) we wouldnt be here now. but what do they do when we get to this point? point fingers, RAISE the debt limit(why do they even have it?!?)...
can u imagine if families ran their households this way? businesses?
we're supposed to look to our government for leadership?!?
it all just makes me sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
transponder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djy wrote:
We would not be having this discussion at all if the economy was in good hands and there was sufficient tax revenue, not because of higher tax rates, but due to lower unemployment rates. Unfortunately, we are very far from that reality.

Right-O old chum!

This type of cable news exchange is sounding more and more familiar. "Bob, this is unlike other recessions where employment and housing have dragged on and on with no end in sight."

Perhaps this is because corporate empires are growing their labor forces OUTSIDE the United States?? Throw in some diplomatic relations with authoritarian governments, some currency manipulation for spice, and there you have it, --THE PLAN FOR SUCCESS!!

We can only hope the dollar becomes so worthless that some foreign corporate entity would be nice enough to put a HQ here and put us all to work and let us live in a dorm. Some say the US Stole the Auto Industry but I say the Auto Industry Stole the US.
enemigo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djy wrote:
What percentage of the the debt is caused by the tea party opposed tax increases? According to a Washington Post article I read recently it was 14% (a pro tax increase article at that).

And? It is the total intransigence regarding any and all increases in revenue, no matter how they are achieved that is the issue. It is the total refusal to compromise at all to the preference of default:

Quote:
The "conclusion was pretty much motivated by all of the debate about the raising of the debt ceiling," John Chambers, chairman of S&P's sovereign ratings committee, said in an interview. "It involved a level of brinksmanship greater than what we had expected earlier in the year."
(source)

djy wrote:
Let's stop playing stupid. Without unsustainable spending, we wouldn't be in nearly as pathetic a shape as we are.

No argument there. And I know that increasing revenue isn't even close to being enough to solve the problem. Entitlements are going to have to be reformed, and the military needs some significant cuts. But to take any revenue increases through taxes off the table is absurd, and yet last night every single Republican on stage raised their hand when they where asked if they would walk away from 10:1 spending cuts vs tax increases.

djy wrote:
Tax increases at this point would hurt job creation.

And those job creators are already so burdened with the lowest tax rates in over half a century, so it would be irresponsible to close loopholes and raise even a single dollar of revenue through polity at any point in the future...or else DEFAULT! So sayeth the Tea Party.

Look, I'm not saying that tax increases should go into effect immediately (and not all tax increases are equal). I'd support having any triggered once unemployment drops below an acceptable level. But if tax increases are off the table for the time being, then so should any spending cuts of any services that push demand into the economy, which is the real issue right now.

djy wrote:
You can't discredit S&P and then use their report as a tool for propaganda.

I don't recall discrediting them.

djy wrote:
The administration spent two days attacking the assumptions in this report but some how it becomes gospel when referring to brinkmanship.

Of course the administration is attacking the report. Would you expect them to agree that the deal they just approved of was insufficient to uphold our credit? Clearly the administration thought it was insufficient to actually address the debt problem, as they were pushing for a Grand Bargain, bigger cuts and entitlement and tax reform, but it couldn't be sold to the nihilists in the House.

djy wrote:

We should cut taxes for our job creators even more then. Doing so always seems to generate so many jobs. Just look at the last decade for proof of that. Unemployment will go down and Revenue will skyrocket.. Hooray for doo doo economics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Politics and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: