Links and Stuff About US Contact Lunar
Welcome to Lunar Magazine
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atlanta Elects a NEW MAYOR in 33 Days -Candidate Sites Added
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Politics and Philosophy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Atlanta Elects a NEW MAYOR in 33 Days -Candidate Sites Added Reply with quote

I hope everybody had a good summer. May all your houses be above water. All the rugrats have been ushered off to school and now we can all get back to the grind.

I have crawled out from under my rock once more with hopes of kick starting those noodles on the up coming Mayoral Elections. Ladies and gentlement we have a contest going on for City Hall's top administrative 'honor'.

What almost turned out to be a ho-hum roster has recently been energized by the entrance of Atlantans Together Against Crime, aka ATAC, founder Kyle Keyser. In my opinion there is no front runner in this race. Each candidate has carved out their own Niche of un-suspecting citizens and what happens in the next month is anybody's guess but I encourrage you to follow along. There will be fireworks.

So here's the list as I see it today. Our three run of the mill politicians include:

Lisa Borders - She has presided over the City Council for 8 years waiting for her opportunity to break a tie vote and enter the political areana. So far with 15 members her number has not been called. Her platform is - Everything is Fine in Atlanta. Status Quo is a go.

http://www.bordersforatlanta.com/

Mary Norwood - City Council member for 8 years and has registered 0 on the richter scale. Mary is the great white hope for the residents of Buck Town. Her Platform is something like - "Although I have not engaged the City Council for 8 years I'm sure I'd make a great Mayor. I can't explain why."

http://www.marynorwoodformayor.com/

Kasim Reed - State Senator. This guy is the Black Knight if there ever was one. He's been part of several successful election campaigns including Shirley Franklin's landslide victory 4 years ago. He's been the strongest candidate in my opinion only because he has an opinion, most of the time. Good luck finding one with Lisa or Mary.

http://www.kasimreed.com/

Along comes a spider... Kyle Keyser is the Wild Card in this election. He has no job and is probably in the latter stages of foreclosure on his house but consider the fact that he quit his job to found ATAC about a year ago cause he was fed up with the Crime in the city. He has done nothing but rally support for the cause which has gathered steam among a disgruntled Police Force, Fire Department and perpetrated residents. Back in January Kyle's army numberd 10,000 and since then he has recieved a lot of attention via the Television and Print media. I would put his support numbers well above that by now. Pretty impressive especially in this City considering only 50,000 people voted in the last election.

http://keyser09.org/

ADDED - Jesse Spikes

http://www.jessespikesformayor.com/

This is the perfect storm if ever there was one but don't take my word for it. Do your homework. Stephanie has done hers so why don't you start with these two gems.

Race Week in Review First Edition - Sept 4th

http://www.sundaypaper.com/Blogs/TheRamageReport/tabid/235/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/4479/MAYORS-RACE-WEEK-IN-REVIEWFIRST-EDITION.aspx

Why Kasim Reed should be the next Mayor - Aug 24th ( Lots of Platform info on the top three candidates )

http://www.sundaypaper.com/Blogs/TheRamageReport/tabid/235/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/4430/WHY-KASIM-REED-SHOULD-BE-ATLANTAS-NEXT-MAYOR.aspx

Get through those two and you'll be further along than half the City I promise.

Turner
Naw man, I think I'm gonna stay. Stab yourself.

Last edited by Turner on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:55 am; edited 5 times in total
jkfunkee___

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell, i'll say it:

until ATL has a serious white mayoral candidate city business will continue on as usual, norwood doesn't qualify. city politics has and will continue to be dictated from local pulpits, there was a time when this was necessary & prudent. the SCLC http://www.sclcnational.org/ served its purpose, but those days are past. if we can have a 1/2 black president, its bout time ATL had a 1/2 white mayor. sounds as if keyser is using the community organizer i have no experience platform that worked for obama, lets see if he is nearly as successful with this tact. if i lived in the city and could vote in this election, i would. i only vote in local elections and on local issues, i refuse to cast a vote for anyone in DC.
Jason G

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Keyser have any opinions on anything other than the crime issue? It's a big one but a lot of people in ATL, unfortunately, don't care about this issue, because they and their "community" are the ones committing the crimes. I do wonder if these people will vote, however.

Overall, I feel we have no really good candidates at all. Big surprise. And count me in the column of "Atlanta won't elect a white mayor." I don't think it matters either way, except if we actually HAD a good white candidate, they'd never be able to win.
MCB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason G wrote:
Does Keyser have any opinions on anything other than the crime issue? It's a big one but a lot of people in ATL, unfortunately, don't care about this issue, because they and their "community" are the ones committing the crimes. I do wonder if these people will vote, however.

Overall, I feel we have no really good candidates at all. Big surprise. And count me in the column of "Atlanta won't elect a white mayor." I don't think it matters either way, except if we actually HAD a good white candidate, they'd never be able to win.

That's my concern as well. Him being gay is a plus for me, but the "business" of the city is most important. I need to see Keyser's opinions on all of the issues before I will ever dream of voting for him. As a homeowner in the city now taxes are important as well as the crime and safety.

Of course not messing with my nightlife as Shirley did is important too. Still can't believe we were all duped and voted for her. At least we have some great condos in all those spaces Sad
Christian Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have learned, Norwood is the only candidate that is actually concerned with ATL's fiscal policy...
Static

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Turner. I've never been a fan... But making blanket statements about politicians without doing any homework at all, is beneath even you. Ehh, perhaps it's not.

Saying that Lisa Borders is the "everything is fine" candidate... really?

Saying that Kasim Reed is better than the other two candidates because he has an opinion... You should take a look at what his opinion is on increasing revenue to pay for all the new police officers he is promising. It is nothing short of hilarious, seriously read up!

Didn't bother reading much past that...

edit:

OMG!!! And the articles you are quoting are from the Sunday Paper!! Anyone that has read a single article from that publication knows they have no business reviewing movies let alone writing on politics.
Asm0deus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static wrote:
Wow Turner. I've never been a fan... But making blanket statements about politicians without doing any homework at all, is beneath even you. Ehh, perhaps it's not.

Saying that Lisa Borders is the "everything is fine" candidate... really?

Saying that Kasim Reed is better than the other two candidates because he has an opinion... You should take a look at what his opinion is on increasing revenue to pay for all the new police officers he is promising. It is nothing short of hilarious, seriously read up!

Didn't bother reading much past that...

edit:

OMG!!! And the articles you are quoting are from the Sunday Paper!! Anyone that has read a single article from that publication knows they have no business reviewing movies let alone writing on politics.

Regardless of Turner's post...

If she was presiding over City Council during the critical 2004 "killed Atlanta's late-night-life" era (which she was), then to Hell with her. I'll take an "anyone but her" position first, then consider the alternatives second.
VJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static wrote:

Blanket statements on politicians is not ok but on publications is? If you are so high and mighty why don't you make some qualified opinions of those in the running instead of disparaging other's efforts?

My guess is because you don't have any...
Christian Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to concur. After reading those two articles I wasn't sure if I accidentally clicked on a link for Reed's campaign site...

Off-handedly disregarding the Fulton County Taxpayers Foundation as simply a group of people who don't want to pay taxes is a very clear indication of the priorities of the author. Perhaps she can go ahead and pay my property taxes if she thinks I'm not paying enough...

I have had a lot of dealings with the City and I can tell you from first-hand experiance that the organization is bloated. The budget can be cut severly - without laying off cops and firemen. There is so much waste in city hall it is dizzying - and the majority of it originates from the office of the mayor. The only thing that will get Atlanta on the right path here is good/new executive management.
MCB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we need someone who doesn't have a political background, but knows how to run a business like a CEO. Someone that will have great advisors almost like VPs in a company to trust.

Too bad we don't have that candidate now. We will have to pick between the lesser of evils and the inexperienced.
Static

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VJ wrote:
Static wrote:

Blanket statements on politicians is not ok but on publications is? If you are so high and mighty why don't you make some qualified opinions of those in the running instead of disparaging other's efforts?

My guess is because you don't have any...

Whoa VJ... You just str8 burned me!!!! You are correct that I shouldn't be bias on publications, but have you ever read anything from The Sunday Paper? As far as me not having opinions, that's just a weak stab in the dark...

I attended the Mayoral Debate at the Auburn Avenue Library. The only candidate able to articulate their vision was Lisa Borders.

Kasim Reed in particular made remarks that left me and the people I was attending the debate with surprised and disappointed. He responded to the question about revenue I was referring to above with "well, we will restructure the city's finances so that there is more money available for the police force." Every other candidate immediately began asking him where this excess cash would be coming from and he literally had no idea. On top of that when asked how he would raise new revenue for the city he was the only candidate without any kind of strategy. It has become clear to me that Reed is simply riding the coattails of Barrack Obama. He used the word "hope" about 30 times throughout the debate even in places where it really didn't fit and many of his campaign slogans and youth programs have suspicious names...

Norwood did well, but made it clear that she is not ready and does not have the experience necessary.

As for club hours getting tighter, I am/was also annoyed by the whole way that situation was handled. But right now this city has some issues that need to be addressed by a competent politician that can get things passed.

Hopefully that will put you at ease VJ. It's almost the weekend and I don't want you to get to stressed.
Turner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static why don't you offer some insight as to why you would choose one candidate over another. I chose my broadest opinions to keep the reader interested as I tend to be verbose. I ASSURE you I can expound on any opinion you take issue with as long as you are a participant in that discussion. You admit yourself that you didn't read the articles I posted where I also register fact and opinion so I can only assume you don't know a thing about any of the candidates.

Here is an assignment for you.

Name one piece of legislation that Lisa has introduced or backed in her 8 years as Council President. Do the same for Mary.

And Christian Michael can you tell me what Mary's plan was to cover the 58 Million dollar short fall we had prior to passing the 2010 budget that did not include a tax hike?

I'll save you some time and let you know she didn't have one but voted against the increase anyway. She is a HORRIBLE public speaker and only touts fiscal policy cause she has somebody else prepare her plans on paper and she submits her homework that way. She hasn't had a single interview, or quote, that answered anything remotely resembling accounting or finance. She always wants to go back to the office (daddy) and get an answer. Fuck that.

Saint name a reputable publication in the Metro Atlanta. Here is a hint: It's not the AJC. I BEG you to argue differently. I'm not even here to argue people. Do some homework and lets talk about this.
VJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not stressed. I'm always like this Very Happy . I was having a little fun..I live in unincorporated dekalb but the mayoral race interests me as I spend almost all of my free time within city limits.
Turner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian find something that demonstrates Mary's fiscal responsibility.

After that you are going to have to explain why she hasn't employed it in the last 8 years. I have no reason to like one candidate over the other but nobody can offer anything of substance for Lisa or Mary. I've tried.

What are Lisa's plans to generate Revenue? What are Mary's?

What experience do they have dealing with the State?
Asm0deus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static wrote:
Kasim Reed in particular made remarks that left me and the people I was attending the debate with surprised and disappointed. He responded to the question about revenue I was referring to above with "well, we will restructure the city's finances so that there is more money available for the police force." Every other candidate immediately began asking him where this excess cash would be coming from and he literally had no idea. On top of that when asked how he would raise new revenue for the city he was the only candidate without any kind of strategy. It has become clear to me that Reed is simply riding the coattails of Barrack Obama. He used the word "hope" about 30 times throughout the debate even in places where it really didn't fit and many of his campaign slogans and youth programs have suspicious names...

Well, that's all I needed to hear on that guy (I'll take your word for it)...

I'm voting for crazy homeless guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Politics and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: