Links and Stuff About US Contact Lunar
Welcome to Lunar Magazine
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another pit bull attack...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Politics and Philosophy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
transponder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklipp wrote:
"are pittbulls naturally aggressive" put it in google. i gaurantee you will see almost all posts or article say no. maybe towards other dogs, but that's a terrier thing. the craziest dog i've ever seen is a yorkie. if they were bigger vick woulda been all over them.

Of course they all say no. They're all trying to sell you the freakin inbred dogs full of mentally unstable piss and vinegar. Razz

Quote:
Many Pit Bulls if not properly trained and socialized have a prey drive towards other animals that can get both them and their owners into some big trouble.

Yeah no doubt, we see this in the news everyday. And then the people that made this pro-pit web site are gonna print some stupid ass shit like this below vvv

Quote:
When accounting for and removing the false reporting and skewed lumping in of mixed breeds compared as a ratio against the number or pure bred Pit Bulls the Pit Bull has one of the lowest bite rates to humans of any of the canine breeds.

WHAT A CROCK OF B.S.!

Who do these people think they are kidding?? "False reporting"? Throw a little "false reporting" tag on all the incidents involving the breed over the last couple of decades and that makes them all just disappear? It's completely DISINGENUOUS to publish such ridiculous nonsense, imo.

And to top it off, the site from which I found these excerpts repeatedly eludes to the need for "exclusive handling" of the breed, paragraph after paragraph on the site text. If it's such a pure, funloving breed, then why are all the disclaimers and lies being posted up to defend it? They can spin it however they want but I'm willing to bet that in certain regions all the inbreeding and careless greed in the animal trade done fucked a good chunk of that breed's mind up too much to be trusted as a domesticated family pet.

I'd trust it as a guard dog. But that's where I'll draw the line.
marklipp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are going to find what they want out of any document to prove their point. The policelink.com discussion is pretty decent and has opinions from cops on both sides. You have a strong opinion that no amount of data or discussion will change. You think it's nature, I think it's nuture. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

I will agree that the greedy breeder fuks have ruined the true pure bred pits to a point of almost extinction. But i still think that any pit puppy can be trained to be a family pet. Fighter rescues? No, not in most cases. But that's true about a lot of big dog rescues.

Disclaimers and "who should not own" lists are part of almost all breed websites. If you, as a potential owner, can not provide the proper care/training/etc, then you shouldn't get it. Unfortunately, like i said, many potential pit owners don't give a shit about that.
transponder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklipp wrote:
Disclaimers and "who should not own" lists are part of almost all breed websites.

That's like the Bush Admin telling venture capitalists not to take a $100K agricultural tax break on a weighted down SUV.
Aquatechnic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transa firma wrote:
|
|

spoken like someone whos never tried to separate two dogs in the midst of tearing each other apart ( : nature accounts for maybe half to two-third. nurture takes care of the rest.

Thesouphead wrote:
whereas other dogs have the instinct to bite and back off a little.

Yep. Cool
marklipp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's like the Bush Admin telling venture capitalists not to take a $100K agricultural tax break on a weighted down SUV.

sorry, i went to public school, i'm failing to see the connection between that and giving breed information to prospective owners. tax loopholes are just part of the game. do i want VCs writing off their Hummers? no. but would you rather have breed information unavailable and by your comparison, would you want to repeal the law (punishing the "good" family farmer)?
transponder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklipp wrote:
Quote:

sorry, i went to public school, i'm failing to see the connection between that and giving breed information to prospective owners. tax loopholes are just part of the game. do i want VCs writing off their Hummers? no. but would you rather have breed information unavailable and by your comparison, would you want to repeal the law (punishing the "good" family farmer)?

lol

What I mean is that breeders who may appear discriminate to foul practice probably don't ACT discriminate when it comes to "who should not own" and the wallet or checkbook coming out of the back pocket.

And the law was repealed. But it didn't affect the farmers because it limited the credit on luxury model SUVs that were originally included in the tax break. The rise from $1.25 gasoline was definitely prescribed. Just like our nation's leverage in "hypothetical" values. But I digress.

Bad Jokes,
Lord I love them.
Bad jokes,
Can't get enough of 'em.
oo oo oo whee,
Bad jokes for me.
transponder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you missed it......

Go to the link to see video of the injuries sustained by this woman who was just TALKING A CASUAL WALK THROUGH HER NEIGHBORHOOD before somebody's pits decided to escape their compound and attack her unprovoked. Also of interest, the pack leader escaped from the animal control facility upon arrest and is now on the loose. That's just great.

I hope those of you with pit pets are listening. As always, I would shoot a loose pit bull (or rottie) with no collar if I saw it anywhere near my property. No different than some of you who would chop a rattlesnake's head off, so spare me the animal lib b.s. I'd let the rattlesnakes and the copperheads live cause it's not their fault. They're just trying to exist in a man-made world. Rolling Eyes

I'm not posting this to hate on anybody here personally. I'm posting this for the sake of awareness. Don't put yourself in a position like this dog owner is facing is all I'm saying.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/24180655/detail.html

Quote:
Owner Cited After 3 Pit Bulls Attack Woman

Posted: 8:08 am EDT July 8, 2010Updated: 4:12 pm EDT July 8, 2010
DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ga. -- A Douglasville man was cited for 20 violations after his three pit bulls attacked a woman walking in the neighborhood Monday morning, officials said.

Akmad Rahim Coleman, of 1673 Independence Drive in Douglasville, was cited for improper restraint, canines attacking a human being without provocation and several counts of failing to provide adequate shelter and water.

Frankie Forsh, 56, said she tried to protect herself, but it wasn't enough to ward off the dogs.

“I had a stick in my hand and when they started approaching me, I hit one with the stick and then they all started jumping me,” said Forsh.

Forsh then fell to her knees and the dogs ripped into her face, arms, legs and feet.

“I don’t even know how many stitches I have. I don’t even know how many puncture wounds. I’m probably still in shock, it’s so surreal,” said Forsh.

Neighbors who came to her rescue were finally able to beat the dogs off of her. She was then rushed to an area hospital.

SLIDESHOW: Dog Attack Photos (WARNING: Pics May Be Considered Graphic)
VIDEO: Woman Attacked By Pit Bulls Reveals Details

Forsh returned home Tuesday night, understanding that authorities had captured the three dogs. But Forsh said on Wednesday morning, she got word about one of the three dogs that attacked her.

“They did actually have three in custody, but when they got to the facility, I’m told that the one that was the bigger of the three, he was more aggressive and even the experienced dog handlers were not able to maintain him, so he got away,” said Forsh. “And I should not be afraid to walk in my own neighborhood.”

But until the third dog is recaptured, Forsh said she’ll be on high alert.

Authorities told the Forsh family that the owner of the dog's, who was out of town at the time of the attack, has now returned home.

“He left his dogs in the caretaker’s charge, but he is also responsible because they are his dogs,” said Forsh.

Forsh, who may have to undergo rabies treatments, said she is hoping for stricter laws for vicious dogs.

Hear, hear! I concur!
transponder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play with the bull, you get the horns. I haven't been posting everything I see on this issue lately, but this was truly shocking so I decided to put it in the archive. Her own dog. Now both her and her baby are dead.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Pregnant-Bay-Area-Woman-Mauled-and-Killed-by-Pet-Pitbull-127588963.html
Quote:

Pregnant Bay Area Woman Mauled and Killed by Pet Pitbull

PACIFICA -- A pregnant Pacifica woman was mauled and killed by a family pit bull Thursday inside her home and discovered by her husband when he returned from work.

Darla Napora, 32, was found by her husband, Greg, at their house at 588 Reina del Mar around noon.

Greg Napora told police that he arrived home to find one of the couple's two pit bulls standing over his wife's body. He was able to get the dog into the backyard before police arrived a few moments later, according to Capt. Dave Bertini, a Pacifica police spokesman.

Attempts to revive Darla Napora were unsuccessful, and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

While the investigation was under way, Bertini said, the 2-year-old male dog got loose from the yard. Police fired three shots at the pit bull, killing it.

The family's second pit bull was not believed to have been involved in the attack, but was removed as a precaution by the Peninsula Humane Society, which provides animal control services for San Mateo County.

By late afternoon, police had left the scene and the house sat quiet, the front door slightly open. The only visible evidence of the horrific episode was a pool of drying blood on the gravel driveway near the front door.

Neighbor Kathy Carlson, 63, saw the distraught husband outside the house before the police arrived.

"He was in the driveway all frantic, yelling," said Carlson, who lives across from the white single-story home that the Naporas began renting last winter. "He had blood on his hands, blood on his shirt and blood down his pants."

Residents and visitors to the quiet block struggled to make sense of what had occurred.

"They are not barking dogs. They seemed friendly," Carlson said of the two pit bulls owned by the Naporas. "I have a pit also, and he's an absolute angel. It's just really sad."

A former neighborhood resident on the scene wasn't nearly so sympathetic to the presence of pit bulls.

"I'm scared to death of them," said Jeni Viny, 59, in Pacifica for a high school reunion. Viny of Nashville recalled being at a dog obedience class where a 4-month-old pit bull began attacking other dogs in the room. "I hate them."

The death of Darla Napora was not the first case in the Bay Area where pit bulls have killed members of the families that owned them.

In 2010, 2-year-old Jacob Bisbee was attacked by three dogs in his step-grandfather's Concord garage. The owner, Steven Hayashi, has since been charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Five years earlier saw the death of Nicholas Faibish, 12, who was mauled by his family's pit bulls in San Francisco after his mother left them alone in the house with her son, who had a learning disability.

The most notorious mauling case locally involved Diane Whipple, a 33-year-old lacrosse coach at St. Mary's College who was killed in her Pacific Heights apartment building by a 120-pound Presa Canario. The dog was being kept by attorneys Marjorie Knoller and Robert Noel, each of whom served prison time as a result of the death. Knoller is still in prison.

San Francisco passed a law in 2005 that pit bulls owned by city residents must be spayed or neutered. Pacifica has no such law. The dog found with Darla Napora had not been neutered, police said.

Mr Sweet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone even looks crosseyed at my dogs (Pit lab mix, and pit dogo argentinian) when they haven't provoked you (which they don't do because they aren't aggressive towards humans), or tries to start shit when they haven't done shit, just baed on their breed, then we are going to have a big fucking problem. I've seen people run from us while we were out walking, and yell "oh a pit, I'm scared of those", that's their ignorance talking. I hold their lives above strangers. And if you can't control your dog and it acts aggressive towards my dogs and they send it to the vet, well that's your fucking problem and your responsibility for not controlling your dog. Dogs are aggressive or submissive based on how their owners train them/raise them. Just like children. Ever watched the fucking Dog Whisperer?

For the record let me just say that anyone with compassion would at least think about approaching a lost dog/pet to see if it is friendly, so that you could possibly put up flyers and try and find the owner. If you're close enough to see it has no collar you're close enough to see if it's aggressive. It's sounds like you're just afraid of what you don't understand, talking about shooting dogs without a collar, way to take it to the extreme.
Asm0deus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comparison with kids actually goes even further... The same people who don't control their animals also don't control their children (who grow into monsters, too).

Shouldn't we be able to pretty much shoot any of them after a certain level of provocation?
(Ned: "He's comin' right at us!")
Mr Sweet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this little guy..He's getting ready for my wedding in 3 weeks..so viscous.

transponder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Sweet wrote:
I've seen people run from us while we were out walking, and yell "oh a pit, I'm scared of those", that's their ignorance talking.

How do you know it's ignorance Sweet? Personally I think it's rational risk assessment. If I'm walking my little weenie dogs down the street and I see someone walking big ass pits or rots, I'm thinking, "FUCK NO I can't afford a vet bill if those dogs decide to snap at my dogs!" " And you know how those little weenie dogs like to growl like a motherfucker. Nobody's a mind reader. You can't expect people to know that your dogs are high-90s friendly considering the clear history of the breed's track record.

Mr Sweet wrote:
Ever watched the fucking Dog Whisperer?

You mean the Dueling Pit Bulls episode? lol Way to prove a point. I've about figured out Daddy's racket. All Caesar does is march him into the house and the yippy little house dog with bad table manners starts giving out some respect. lol

Mr Sweet wrote:
For the record let me just say that anyone with compassion would at least think about approaching a lost dog/pet to see if it is friendly, so that you could possibly put up flyers and try and find the owner. If you're close enough to see it has no collar you're close enough to see if it's aggressive.

Why Sweet? So the damn thing can get out again and cause trouble? Why should I feel compelled to subject life and limb in order to diagnose some strange animal's personality? Let me put it this way -- the best thing a stray animal can do around me is keep walking. I love animals. I love dogs. I've taken care of some. I've even been NICE to some of the pit bulls walking this earth. But I'm not really into cleaning up other people's messes like, "Oh my rambunctious apartment dog just got out and OOPS here he his again!"

You want to talk about animal cruelty? How about people that lock their big ass pits and rots inside tiny apartments all day long?? How is that freakin fair?? That's why I think some people place so much PSEUDO emphasis on "Rights for our Furry Little Friends"!! It makes them feel better for holding something captive.

And may I also say for the record that pit, rot owners etc., who DO NOT RESPECT (not necc you Sweet) the fact they have a unique responsibility to ensure the safety of everything that comes into contact with their animals are the ones subjecting undue risk onto others.

You shouldn't fault, the people who cross the street in front of you Sweet, but merely realize they are extending you a courtesy pass from any potential unpleasant encounters.

Do you walk your dog with that bow-tie on?

Mr Sweet wrote:
It's sounds like you're just afraid of what you don't understand, talking about shooting dogs without a collar, way to take it to the extreme.

Hey man, I never said I wouldn't fire off a warning. But let's face it, if there's an animal that's NOT afraid of loud bangs then it's likely gonna have to be dealt with. Especially if it growls at me and doesn't turn about face and leave. I'm just sayin man to be prepared. Saw a coyote in my neighborhood just last month. Also have seen foxes, strays. There a freakin black bear roaming Sandy Springs I heard.
Mr Sweet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

transponder wrote:

How do you know it's ignorance Sweet? Personally I think it's rational risk assessment.

Because then they said oh I just don't like them, not Oh I was attacked by them, but I just don't like them. It's an irrational fear based off of all the hyped up stories they see on the news. Pit bulls temperament, like any dogs, depends on how they are raised and trained. We need Whitney to chime in here when she gets a chance, she knows her stuff.

Quote:
If I'm walking my little weenie dogs down the street and I see someone walking big ass pits or rots, I'm thinking, "FUCK NO I can't afford a vet bill if those dogs decide to snap at my dogs!" " And you know how those little weenie dogs like to growl like a motherfucker. Nobody's a mind reader. You can't expect people to know that your dogs are high-90s friendly considering the clear history of the breed's track record.

You should be eying the owner, just as much if not more than the dog. You can at least profile a human by looking at them, but you can't really profile a dog just by looks. Does the owner treat their dog with respect, are they controlling it, or is it controlling them? Do they walk it with a leash or a chain? I saw two dudes walking their pit bulls in off south Columbia drive today with actual chains, and those to me look like fighting dogs. The dogs themselves looked friendly, but I wouldn't trust them b/c I wouldn't trust their owners or anyone who uses an actual chain and not a leash or harness.

Mr Sweet wrote:
Ever watched the fucking Dog Whisperer?

My point is the point that is proven all the time, it's about training your dog. A dog's behavior goes back to that of it's owner.

Quote:
And may I also say for the record that pit, rot owners etc., who DO NOT RESPECT (not necc you Sweet) the fact they have a unique responsibility to ensure the safety of everything that comes into contact with their animals are the ones subjecting undue risk onto others.

You shouldn't fault, the people who cross the street in front of you Sweet, but merely realize they are extending you a courtesy pass from any potential unpleasant encounters.

Do you walk your dog with that bow-tie on?

Every owner needs to respect the fact that they are responsible for their dog, cat, ferret, whatever. The yappy dog next door that taunts my pits and chews on the chain link fence, while their owner does nothing about their behavior, will be held responsible if it gets out of the yard, comes onto my property, and starts a fight it can't win with my dogs.

That bow tie was just bought this past week and we will be having him wear it at our wedding reception in 3 weeks. We made sure our reception location was dog friendly.

My main concern with your statements before was the gung ho attitude, shoot first, ask questions later. You've elaborated much more since the initial statements. Again I say, it's not the dog, it's the owners fault. We can't bring one of our dogs to the dog park anymore because while she is not human aggressive, she will get into fights when other dogs try to hump her or dominate her. She hasn't always been this way, she was a rescue and got this way after my fiance was robbed, this isn't something we can train her not to do at this point, so we just don't take her there anymore.
transponder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope nobody here lost a friend... Sad

http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/police-canine-rescuer-killed-1500889.html
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/17/georgia-woman-who-rescued-animals-killed-in-dog-attack/

Quote:
Police: Canine rescuer killed by dogs

By Christian Boone
5:28 p.m. Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Rebecca Carey, a close friend said, was always on the lookout for animals needing her help.

That generous spirit cost the 23-year-old Decatur woman her life, when she was killed by multiple dog bites sometime over the weekend, DeKalb County police said Thursday.

"Since the second grade when she read the book 'Throw Away Pets,' she vowed to be a voice for all animals," her parents, Greg and Ellen Carey, said in a statement. "Upon placing her first abandoned animal in a permanent loving home in 2003, she volunteered countless hours with rescue networks and animal shelters. There she did what she loved the most: rescuing animals from untenable situations to find them safe, loving homes."

Carey had five dogs living with her at the time of her death. One of them was a pit bull she had owned for six years. The Georgia Perimeter college student had taken in another pit bull and a boxer mix, along with a Presa, a large Spanish breed.

Carey was also dogsitting a Presa owned by Jackie Cira, who discovered her friend's body Sunday afternoon after she failed to show up for work at Alpharetta's Loving Hands Animal Clinic.

"It looked like she had fallen and hit her head," said Cira, who lives in Loganville.

Officers initially thought they may be dealing with a homicide, said DeKalb police spokeswoman Mekka Parish. But it soon became clear that her attackers were four-legged.

With the consent of Carey's parents, the dogs were euthanized Wednesday, Parish said.

Cira said her friend would have been devastated to learn that all of the dogs were put down, particularly her 6-year-old pit bull Napoleon, who she had adopted when he was eight weeks old.

"They went everywhere together," said Cira, whose own dog, Danai, was euthanized."She was the love of my life."

Animal control officials acted too hastily, Cira said, adding it would have been possible to determine which dogs bit Carey. "We're talking about three very different breeds weighing around 80 pounds, 55 pounds and 15 pounds," the friend said.

But Tim Medlin, interim director of DeKalb Animal Control, said public safety is his first concern. "I won't put another person at risk," he said.

Cira speculated that her friend likely fell and hit her head as she attempted to break up a fight between the dogs. They were generally familiar with each other, save for one of the Presas, who Carey took in a week before her death, Cira said.

"She was a very experienced dog handler," she said, adding Carey was not naive when it came to dealing with aggressive canines.

"If she found out it was a dangerous dog, they were gone," Cira said. "She felt strongly that dangerous dogs had no business being in society where they could attack a child or something."

But Carey felt just as strongly that all animals deserved a chance to survive and thrive. In one of their last conversations, the woman told Cira she wanted to take in a baby squirrel.

"She was going to bottle feed it herself," Cira said.

Quote:

Georgia woman who rescued animals killed in dog attack

August 17, 2012

A Georgia college student who cared for abandoned animals for nearly a decade was attacked and killed by a dog, police said.

Rebecca Carey, 23, was killed at her Decatur home sometime over the weekend, MyFoxAtlanta.com reports.

Authorities said Carey, who worked with dogs since she was a young teenager, had five dogs living with her at the time of her death. They included a pit bull, which she had owned for six years, a boxer mix and a Presa, a large Spanish breed. She was also dogsitting another Presa for a friend.

Carey’s body was discovered Sunday afternoon after she failed to show up for work at Alpharetta’s Loving Hands Animal Clinic. The dogs that she was caring for in her home were euthanized on Wednesday. It was unclear which dog killed Carey.

"Since the second grade when she read the book 'Throw Away Pets,' she vowed to be a voice for all animals," her parents, Greg and Ellen Carey, said in a statement to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Upon placing her first abandoned animal in a permanent loving home in 2003, she volunteered countless hours with rescue networks and animal shelters. There she did what she loved the most: rescuing animals from untenable situations to find them safe, loving homes."

Sgt. Kim Medlin of DeKalb County Animal County said Carey’s death was the county’s first fatal dog bite.

“I don’t know these dogs, but I know what they did,” Medlin told MyFoxAtlanta.com. “And that’s how we made our judgment.”

The cause of death was listed as neck and upper torso injuries consistent with dog bites, the website reports.

Neighbor Monica Cofer said the dogs had never shows any signs of aggression in the past.

“They never showed any type of aggression,” she told the website. “Even if one got loose, you could tell them to go back to their yard and they’d go back.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Politics and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: