Links and Stuff About US Contact Lunar
Welcome to Lunar Magazine
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QUAD...the reality about certain promoters..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Lunar Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spring4thCenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: QUAD...the reality about certain promoters.. Reply with quote

To the people that question why certain promoters are no longer working with QUAD.....
[as has been mentioned recently by people speculating on the coincidence of Household and Liquified both ending their weekly events at about the same time, and speculated again about why another promoter is “no longer” working with QUAD.]

Each situation has its own story, and I will not bore you with all of the sad details. In summary: QUAD is a BIG venue with lots of overhead. What looks like "greedy" to some people is simply what we need to do to pay the bills. With a venue this size, we can't survive on just bar revenue from 300-400 people on a Saturday night.....while this may be fine for a Friday or Saturday night in a smaller venue, it's just not going to cut it here.

As far as three specific situations that have been mentioned recently in this forum....

LIQUIFIED
Liquified is a professionally run organization, that puts on great shows, and QUAD is happy to have worked with them in 2011. We have respect for both Damian and Devin personally and hope to work with them again for a show or event where our venue fits their needs.

HOUSEHOLD MANAGEMENT
Household Management came in like gang busters with big talk and big budgets (paid for by QUAD, not Household)....but ultimately not so big in the revenue and profits department.

For those who did come out to some of those shows, you may recall seeing a great show (Ed Rush & Optical, DJ Fresh, Drop the Lime, even Noisia and Skream...) but I bet you thought the crowd was a little disappointing. It's partly a reflection on the market and what the nightlife crowd is willing to pay for nowadays.. partly a reflection on the promoter for being out of touch with today's nightlife consumer ..partly paying too much for talent. And we acknowledge there is at least some part of the market that will choose to stay with their tried and true Opera or other upscale club.

We blame ourselves for not trusting our own instincts, but hey, these guys were the experts, right? Instead, we inadvertently allowed them to raise the price of talent for everyone in the city (to the other venues and promoters and patrons, we sincerely apologize), by paying above-market talent costs which also included hidden back-end deals that benefited their agency.

And for anyone who has any plans of ever working with either Brandon or MJ in the future....just don't let them touch a penny of your money. We made the naive mistake of trusting them and paid significant amounts upfront for certain talent and other costs, while the sold out pre-sale ticket revenue from our biggest event went into THEIR wantickets account….never to be seen by QUAD. Even after adjusting for subsequent amounts owed back and forth (detailed and agreed upon by both parties), we are still waiting on $25,000 owed to us.

Household can try to spin this situation any way they want, but the truth is (and they both know it)...they stole our money. MJ likes to think of it as “profit” that he made us, so it’s not so bad if he kept it since he "made" it for us. But it wasn’t profit—it was mostly reimbursement for expenses that we had paid upfront.

We thought they used our money to pay for MJ's Bashment at Masquerade (which Brandon repeatedly harrassed us about "investing" in, which we repeatedly refused), but no, we were corrected by MJ -- it wasn't used for MJ's Bashment without our permission, it was used to pay for Mord Fustang's Canada tour that had to be paid in advance (also without our permission, and to this date still not re-paid to us). Oh…well, THAT explains it.

All the e-mails promising wire transfers to our account. All the texts and phone calls... "our bank account was frozen..I'm at the bank right now trying to get it fixed..." " I hit "send" to send the wire and it wouldn't transfer..." "I sent it yesterday, I don't know why you don't have it yet..." “We’ll be bringing over what we owe you in cash after the Bashment…” Brandon can't even look me in the eye because he knows what he has done. MJ is just a big blustering fool, but even he knows they stole our money and at least early on had the integrity to admit it and tell us they would make it right as soon as possible. MJ: "We rarely fuck up......we fucked up this time and I apologize, we will make it right." Not sure what has happened since he told us this (except we paid for even more shows that lost money or barely broke even...).

Months after the fact, they both have now spun some sort of delusional reality so they can live with themselves. Smokescreens about how the door revenue was mis-handled by us, or some other b**sh** about “the venue.” [We have extensive procedures, controls and documentation, and there were no questions at all at the time since we gave them so much documentation and they saw how it was run and they saw how sparsely attended many of the shows were]. Or "out of the blue" $3,000 minimum fees per show that were absolutely never, ever ever discussed let alone agreed upon. Or protests that a weekly event is a BAD idea when they were the ones insisting upon it. Lots of creative reality shifts here.

So...THAT is why Household is no longer doing events at QUAD.

For people that wonder why we kept working with them, when they owed us (at that time) $30,000. We still trusted them. We were committed to talent and did not want to renege on deals. We still wanted to believe that this was just a timing issue and that they would make things right.

For people that wonder why we would “go public” with these kinds of details: Just imagine how frustrating it has been for us, sitting patiently waiting for them to do the right thing, while they continue on their merry way with shows at other venues, making disparaging remarks about QUAD, etc. When it came time for year-end bonuses for our hard-working staff of 30+ people, it just hit home again what we could do with that money that Household still owes us.

Maybe ..just maybe…Brandon or MJ will be filled with the spirit of Christmas and reach out and “make it right.”

[And yes, by the time we pay legal fees to have this wind its way through the legal system, we won’t be left with much if anything.]

GROOVE ASYLUM/AFRO ACID
We have great respect for the talent of DJ Pierre and the whole Afro Acid label and have been helping to promote them (as well as Tommie Sunshine) as part of our big New Year's Eve show. Despite overzealous announcements by certain individuals, QUAD has never had an agreement with anyone to host any Afro Acid events at QUAD other than New Year’s Eve. We’ve learned that we need a more verifiable track record of promoting in today’s Atlanta market, before promising a monthly Saturday night to any specific promoter.

We have heard that Primal seems to be committed to a few future Afro Acid events. Since this is a smaller space, perhaps it is more suited to an event that is still in its early stages of growth. We believe in the Afro Acid movement and wish them luck, and are still hopeful they can grow a following big enough to fill the main room of QUAD at a future time. Hopefully the main room will be packed on New Year’s Eve when DJ Pierre takes the stage!!!

I know there are a lot of MJ "friends/supporters" here along with his critics, and it seems like a lot of posts here get "moderated" if someone doesn't like what is being said. I also know there has been and will continue to be criticism of our venue, whether it's how security is handled (it's a never-ending balancing act that we always take seriously), or how clean the bathrooms are, or how fast the bartender is, or how many glowsticks are in the crowd...whatever. So be it. We appreciate civil feedback, both positive and constructive. We know we're doing something right or we wouldn't still be here and we wouldn't be attracting 1,600 people here on a Tuesday night (and consistently 500 to 1500+ every Friday and Saturday)... And we’re always learning and continuing to improve.

Thanks for listening,

Stacey Day, Owner/Founder, QUAD & Spring4th Complex

Feel free to contact me privately at stacey@spring4th.com.

Last edited by Spring4thCenter on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Spring4thCenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one minor comment on the audio of the meeting that DJRYAN references...It was taped fully within the requirements of state law (which requires that at least one person be aware of the recording). Household's own attorney confirmed this legal point to Brandon, who was shocked when he realized they could not weasle out of some of the statements that had been made.

For the record:

I was at the meeting and led much of the discussion and agenda. I was NOT aware that it was being taped, so anything that I personally did or said was not with the intent of leading any person to make any specific statements, incriminating or otherwise, on tape.
spring4th.com
404 870 0040
xldwoodslx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I would have quoted DJRYAN's post before it was removed. I thought it was a great response personally.

I think this response and explanation is a whole lot more professional than another one I have seen on this forum. No surprise there though. While I may not agree with the twitter tactics that fooled me, I don't really have sympathy for MJ after the way he has talked to people over the years, people who are customers. A professional response can go a long way in perception. I hope someone keeps us up to date on how this plays out personally.
Spring4thCenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From DJRyan:
I personally believe that people deserve to know the truth about certain situations. But at the risk of creating a divide amongst promoters / club goers / and talent this borderlines something near next to unimaginable. Since I've been in Atlanta it had seemed like between Household, Liquified, and others, that we were creating something to be proud of. Weekends were full of recognizable dj's which hopefully not only provided earnings but great music for those of us that appreciate it. Although I'm not surprised that relationships or business ventures go arye sometimes, what I am surprised about is the way these situations are handled. $30k is a lot of money- a lot. And I was always taught if its not yours don't touch it. I've listened to the audio of the meeting held between the Quad and Household, and in my opinion a firm admission of misappropriations occured. This is upsetting as in reality, Household put on great events in great venues all over the city. What's even more surprising is now that they're committed to their agency, who is going to maintain those relationships and moresoe, bring the talent to the crowds that Household attracted? I think this is a dark day for EDM in Atlanta and my only hope is that some of these other smaller companies can pick up, at least partially, where their leaving off.
spring4th.com
404 870 0040
Dr. Whiskey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to comment on the previous business transactions, but the bleeding of sound b/t the main room and the one downstairs was gawd awful at stanton warriors/calvertron show. It made us leave.
Spring4thCenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Whiskey:
Thanks for your feedback on this. Since that time, we have re-positioned the DJ booth and speakers in the BASSment. I'm not a sound expert at all but I am told it is better than before.

I know that there were definitely bad spots when you are upstairs but overlooking the downstairs area, but when you are either downstairs or closer into the main room, there doesn't seem to be any crossover now.

Stacey Day, QUAD & Spring4th Complex
spring4th.com
404 870 0040
kryptonite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably played at the quad 10 times. All I can say is I hope that was fixed. I vomited in my mouth every time I saw I had to play in that bottom room.

You basically had to mix in your headphones because the top room sound overpowered the bottom room sound. As a party goer it was completely useless to be downstairs bc your heard the upstairs sound. The worst I had experienced in 13 years of djing in ATL.

With that said, closing out the Quad for the Wolfgang G show was in my top 3 shows of 2011. Packed until the lights came on, security guards on the stage to keep people off me lol.

I won't comment on the legal matters, but I don't think this is the place for them.
mj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One.
The fact that you need to post things about every promoter that works at your venue shows what kind of a venue you are. You are only making yourself look more and more stupid. But if you want to get into it, lets: How is it that almost EVERY promoter that has ever worked there has a negative opinion about working with you? While you kiss Liquified's ass on here as some sort of ridiculous spin, they too decided not to work with you anymore. This is not an aberration. This is fact. Besides, every ONE of you talked continuous shit about both Damien and Devin to my face for the entire time we were at your venue. Yet another fact. Just as you talked shit about EVERY other promoter in town to us while we were there, including but not limited to calling the cops on competing promoters to have their parties shut down. Which in turn promoters have since thought was my doing, and which I have never done and will never do in the future. If I did, you guys would be getting raided every night, don't ya think?

Two.
As far as me being a "blustering fool" every deal made with you guys was between Brandon and Ben (who also no longer works there, and who Rick, your husband, was even talking shit about last week via his Twitter. I wonder how he will like that if this goes to court?) I never had any discussions about any finances with any of you. All the deals Ben promised Brandon never came to fruition either. Since they are all verbal commitments and there are no contracts for any of this though, it comes down to a whole lot of he said/she said doesn't it? But lets just say your story has very little in relation to truth. The truth is the deal Brandon made with Ben was for 30% of profit from each week's show, or a flat fee of $3,000, whichever was greater. Why would we agree to come work somewhere for free? The TRUTH is we have been here for 18 years doing what we do. The truth is there is no other venue in town besides yours that we can no longer work at should we want to (except Opera and that is just from my personal choice, and they don't need us anyway, regardless with your out of touch posted assumption that the talent we were bringing to QUAD was in any way competing with Opera whatsoever). We still to this day work with every other venue we have ever done a show at including Masquerade, Wild Bills, Center Stage, Georgia Theater, just to name a few. Funny how none of them have anything but glowing things to say about us.

Three.
As far as the "light" turnouts at our nights there, we were not the only ones having light shows at your venue by any means. Some of our patrons tell us those shows were light BECAUSE they were at your venue, and they didn't want to come there. In any case, I said from the get go how almost impossible doing a weekly event in ATL is, and that's why nobody does them. Do you not remember that? But the the REAL REASON there were light turnouts is because as soon as we came in and agreed to do EVERY FRIDAY there while Liquified did every Saturday, you immediately started opening up every other night of the week for no cover. In essence this "tanked" our nights. The common thought of the kids being "Why would I pay $20 to go somewhere I can go for free any other night of the week, I don't care who's playing." This is an attitude that QUAD has latched on to seeing as ever since Liquified and Household Management have left working at QUAD there has yet to be ONE International Headliner that has ever played there since. Coincidence? Me thinks not.

Four.
As far as you "being committed to the talent" what an absolute laugh that is. You have no idea what "market value" is for DJs here, and that's why you have yet to book a significant one on your own. Even in Phil Ferguson's meeting with you last week Palmer asked him "what can you do for us that we cant do ourselves?" When Phil answered "I can bring the talent" (of which he is mostly trying to book through me, and which I STILL agreed to do even if it was going to happen at your venue) Palmer laughed at him and said "I can pick up the phone and book Flux Pavilion myself". Talk about out of touch! You guys have no idea how anything works when it comes to booking. None. Go ahead. Try and book him. Let me know how that goes for you. Also IF you can get him (and you can't) let me know how much the "market price" gets "raised" when its not me doing the asking. Sigh... how delusional can someone be? What's more you continuously threatened not paying for talent we already had booked up through the Friday MELT events. This is why certain monies were kept once I realized that this was a possibility, until our contract with you was finished. That is not "being committed to talent". That is the opposite. One only needs to simply look at your track record of lineups since August to see how "committed to talent" you guys really are. And the answer is zero. While your post is full of contradictions and spin. Mine is simple and pure fact.

Five.
Regarding the audio that has been posted up all around town now in a pathetic effort to spin the facts of what happened during our tenure at QUAD, I could get into a full fledged defense of that but as my lawyer has instructed me, I should not say anything in public besides this: If you still "trusted us" as you say to still work with us for 9 weeks after that audio was recorded (without our knowledge by the way), then why were you secretly recording us in the first place? Whats more, any admission that I made on that audio was once again, in defense of my partner, Brandon, who had negotiated all deals until then, and was before 9 more weeks of us working for free. This is not spin. This is fact. It is our contention that after the 9 weeks of working for nothing, and not being paid our at least $3,000 flat fee per week, that any monies still owed you had been worked off, and had by then turned into monies now owed us. That is the crux of what we disagree on, and once we did disagree YOU got blustery said let's take it to Civil Court. After a couple meetings of our lawyers to solve this fiasco through mediation and your repeated rejections of ANY sort of agreement whatsoever (even amounting to your getting up and walking out of one meting at our lawyers office). And after Rick Day emailing his son Chris (of which he showed the email to Brandon at Inferno one night) to tell him to "plant drugs on MJ and then have him arrested" and several other ridiculous threats, we have simply been waiting for you to file the civil litigation, so we can handle this in court like professional business people do. It is our opinion, and the opinion of our lawyer, that we will win any court litigation handedly. It's been six months and so far we haven't heard a peep. It is after insane threats like that and repeated rejections by your side to any sort of agreement which has kept us from "reaching out" and "making anything right".

However in the meantime, while you guys seem obsessed with us, and created fake twitter accounts to mock my weight, and have taken every opportunity you can to disparage us, we have NEVER once said anything public about you whatsoever. Even when your security beat up my dear friend Carly (for no reason) and I posted her picture of her smashed up face on my Facebook, I never once said the name of the club it happened at. Not once. I never posted a thread here on this forum (as I have done about Opera several times for doing the same thing). When my friend (and Heroes x Villains girlfriend) Amber got jumped by your head of security Troy, 2 weeks ago, I never once said anything then (except for asking if they were Ok via my Twitter and because I was responded to someone else tweeting "FUCK QUAD". Rick Day took that as ME saying Fuck Quad and tried to go to war with me, which again has been laughable). It is not us trying to have a war with you, it is you guys constant need for a protagonist to feel like you are "fighting for something", which so far has been every promoter who has dared compete with you up until now, which is spurring this. Why else all this public bullshit instead of just taking it to court like everybody else does? If you have a case, lets get into it, if not, shut up already.

Six.
If you guys want to again come back to the table and hash this out like civilized people then we are open to discussion. We have never not been open to discussion. If you want to take it to court and have a jury figure it out 3 years from now, we are open to that to, as we have been saying that's what we should do for months. If you want to keep talking shit publicly because it will make you feel better and you obviously need some scapegoat to be obsessed with because there is nobody left for you guys to "battle"and that's what you thrive on, then keep doing that. I don't really care either way. People who know me, know me, and I have never fucked anyone over and I have no trouble sleeping at night. The people that do not know me, do not matter to me. People can make their own assumptions of who's been doing what where, and for how long. I have long since stopped caring what people think about me.

This is not a dark day for EDM as another poster has said after only hearing one side of a story. This is nothing more than a disagreement about monies owed to who, and how much. These things happen everyday in the business world, they are just rarely posted on a public forum. When they are posted it is usually because the offended party has no other recourse than to piss and moan in public about it. I know I have my detractors on this forum, many of which will delight in the fact that one of my business dealings has been made public in an effort to tear down at whatever form of legacy we have tried to make our mark here in ATL with. But as I said, I am not going to fight fire with fire. You are free to make your judgments. But before you do, ask yourself this..who is really the one that looks infantile and unprofessional in all this, and would you want to work with them?

I have said all I am going to say about this, and this was probably way too much, seeing QUAD's penchant for trying to use peoples words against them. Not to mention their almost paranoid knack for immediately copying, keeping, and then pasting anything anyone says about them even if it's deleted within 3 minutes of it's posting, as evidenced in this very thread. In direct disobedience to my lawyer's directives, I could not let this post stand unanswered, but I also cannot keep coming back here to debate the merits of continued arguments either. Like I say, you are free to make your own judgments. Once again to QUAD, if you want to talk, you know my number.

*Edited twice for typos
Atlanta, GA
http://www.facebook.com/djmjatl
http://www.twitter.com/MJofKingdom

Last edited by mj on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
DJRYAN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xldwoodslx wrote:
I wish I would have quoted DJRYAN's post before it was removed. I thought it was a great response personally.

I just decided that it would be better off if I stay out of this. I have my thoughts and opinions but usually there's something about what I say that rubs people the wrong way so that's the reason why it was deleted. The comment Stacey posted which included my post is accurate.

DJRYAN wrote:

I personally believe that people deserve to know the truth about certain situations. But at the risk of creating a divide amongst promoters / club goers / and talent this borderlines something near next to unimaginable. Since I've been in Atlanta it had seemed like between Household, Liquified, and others, that we were creating something to be proud of. Weekends were full of recognizable dj's which hopefully not only provided earnings but great music for those of us that appreciate it. Although I'm not surprised that relationships or business ventures go arye sometimes, what I am surprised about is the way these situations are handled. $30k is a lot of money- a lot. And I was always taught if its not yours don't touch it. I've listened to the audio of the meeting held between the Quad and Household, and in my opinion a firm admission of misappropriations occured. This is upsetting as in reality, Household put on great events in great venues all over the city. What's even more surprising is now that they're committed to their agency, who is going to maintain those relationships and moresoe, bring the talent to the crowds that Household attracted? I think this is a dark day for EDM in Atlanta and my only hope is that some of these other smaller companies can pick up, at least partially, where their leaving off.

Spring4thCenter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (QUAD, Spring4th, me, my husband Rick, etc.) are not responsible for the fake MJ Twitter account.
xldwoodslx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJRYAN wrote:

I just decided that it would be better off if I stay out of this. I have my thoughts and opinions but usually there's something about what I say that rubs people the wrong way so that's the reason why it was deleted.

Screw what others think man. Stand by what you believe in, especially when what you believe in is being a good person. Your statement was good in the fact that what is important is treating people right, being honest and caring about the scene you clearly care about ... a lot. Good for you.

As far as MJ's reply. He makes some interesting disputes. Whether this is the place many can debate, but this has been opened up to the world already so its all about letting customers know the facts now. Stacey if you care so much about the public perception here, it will be interesting to see your response. I will still say one response comes off with that "thug" attitude while another comes off as a more professional sincere one. Again, perception and reputation go a long way. Not sure it matters to you though. Again I am out on this topic, but hope to see how this plays out and hope I learn the real facts one day.
mj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring4thCenter wrote:
We (QUAD, Spring4th, me, my husband Rick, etc.) are not responsible for the fake MJ Twitter account.

No but one of your employees was. Fact. Your husband, Rick Day, then retweeted several of the anonymous tweeter's comments (and vice versa) and engaged him wholeheartedly in a campaigning attempt to belittle, disparage, and slander me publicly, all while reveling lasciviously in the fact that he was doing so. As a matter of fact, it is because of that very Twitter account and its being linked here on this forum, that you even know this forum exists in the first place, and it's why you just NOW started posting here. Fact.

The truth is hardly anyone on this forum goes to QUAD anyway (if they go out at all) and we no longer throw events in Atlanta, so any perceived attempt to let "customers know the facts", as said by another poster, on here is just silly. This is nothing more than drama. Like I say, if you want to talk, hit us up. We will talk. Everything else, or any further postings about this are nothing more than bullshit attempts at an irrelevant smear campaign. We are not your competition. We could care less about any of this.
Atlanta, GA
http://www.facebook.com/djmjatl
http://www.twitter.com/MJofKingdom
bonitian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of whatever the situation is/was, I'm not going to Quad again anyways for a multitude of reasons. I'll admit that the reasons range from venue-specific to promoter-specific, but I'll just leave it at that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Lunar Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: