Links and Stuff About US Contact Lunar
Welcome to Lunar Magazine
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

this is why more fed govt is bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Politics and Philosophy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkfunkee___

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: this is why more fed govt is bad Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091115/ap_on_bi_ge/us_medicare_fraud

47 billion?
spunkie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a girl that worked for the state of Georgia as an auditor. All she did was audit the state of Georgia. She said she would often uncover fraud in the $100k range, but the state would not prosecute the person because they deemed it wasn't worth it. The whole thing seemed so silly to me... we'll pay an auditor to undercover fraud, but then we won't do anything to recoup the money. WTF?

However, fraudulent behavior is not limited to government... you are better off not trusting ANYBODY.
jkfunkee___

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spunkie wrote:

However, fraudulent behavior is not limited to government... you are better off not trusting ANYBODY.

totally agreed, but how is handing over the entire healthcare system to the feds is just retarded
spunkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkfunkee___ wrote:
totally agreed, but how is handing over the entire healthcare system to the feds is just retarded

Handing it over to large bureaucratic companies is equally retarded IMO.

I am curious to see how much health insurance companies pay in fraud each year. I'm sure that helps drive up my cost for coverage. I haven't been able to find anything concrete, but if anybody else can come up with some numbers please share.
jkfunkee___

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spunkie wrote:
jkfunkee___ wrote:

Handing it over to large bureaucratic companies is equally retarded IMO.

I am curious to see how much health insurance companies pay in fraud each year. I'm sure that helps drive up my cost for coverage. I haven't been able to find anything concrete, but if anybody else can come up with some numbers please share.

which is what the prez has done with this deal by price fixing with the drug co's. if the states (such as MA, which by all accounts is drowning in cost & red tape) choose to mandate coverage then i've got no issue. its anything that's federally mandated that i take umbrage with.
the feds have been judged and found wanting when it comes to ss/medicare/va, mismanagement and a complete lack of accountability.
spunkie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkfunkee___ wrote:
the feds have been judged and found wanting when it comes to ss/medicare/va, mismanagement and a complete lack of accountability.

Have you ever tried to deal with GDOT?
jkfunkee___

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spunkie wrote:
jkfunkee___ wrote:

Have you ever tried to deal with GDOT?

all govt agencies are plagued with the same issues as the federal govt, its employees are sub-standard due to union involvement and affirmative action. there is no mandate to hire the best employees, are you surprised by your experience with GDOT?
no one in management is looking toward the bottom line because it isn't required, why not waste time and resources?
im curious to see what happens if norwood wins tomorrow, will it be business as usual in the city govt?
spunkie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkfunkee___ wrote:
all govt agencies are plagued with the same issues as the federal govt, its employees are sub-standard due to union involvement and affirmative action. there is no mandate to hire the best employees, are you surprised by your experience with GDOT?

Yes, but I think it is also impacted by the pay. There are some really smart people working at City Hall (and probably GDOT), but most folks go into the business world because it pays better. You want the government contract - not the government job.

jkfunkee___ wrote:
im curious to see what happens if norwood wins tomorrow, will it be business as usual in the city govt?

I'm curious as well. She has been all about cutting out the waste and improving accountability, so we'll see what happens if she wins tonight.
jkfunkee___

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spunkie wrote:
jkfunkee___ wrote:

Yes, but I think it is also impacted by the pay. There are some really smart people working at City Hall (and probably GDOT), but most folks go into the business world because it pays better. You want the government contract - not the government job.

jkfunkee___ wrote:

I'm curious as well. She has been all about cutting out the waste and improving accountability, so we'll see what happens if she wins tonight.

there are plenty of people who want the govt jobs, those who are lazy and therefore have no need of their own businesses. besides stealing, losing a govt. job is nigh impossible.
jbrady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkfunkee___ wrote:
spunkie wrote:
jkfunkee___ wrote:

jkfunkee___ wrote:

there are plenty of people who want the govt jobs, those who are lazy and therefore have no need of their own businesses. besides stealing, losing a govt. job is nigh impossible.

Stop generalizing. In the State Agency I work for, most people above and below me have Master's degrees and represent some of the hardest working people I've ever known. We survive budget cuts and work twice as hard with less. How lazy of us. Confused
VJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbrady wrote:

Stop generalizing. In the State Agency I work for, most people above and below me have Master's degrees and represent some of the hardest working people I've ever known. We survive budget cuts and work twice as hard with less. How lazy of us. Confused

What industry is your agency in, J?
marklipp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s not really true JK. While there is a process to be terminated (unlike most jobs), most gov’t employees work at the whims of the budget and there are definitely no unions for a vast majority. My experience working as a state or regional gov’t employee many moons ago and now working as a consultant to gov’t is mixed. However, like any other group, it’s the actions of the few that ruin the rep for the many.

GDOT has highly skilled engineers, especially in the traffic operations side. I at an ARC meeting recently where a GDOT rep presented their new Office of Project Completion (or similar title) to help streamline the process. Previously, there would be different project manager for the different phases of a highway for example (planning, preliminary engineering, construction, etc). The schedule would intertwine and it would be like a stove-pipe system where no one knows what the others are doing. This is classic government lack of communication. Each person working on their task could be the best in the business, but the entire process was managed poorly by the inherent. This new system, with one manager overseeing the entire project from A to Z should help. It will allow engineers to be engineers and not budget managers or whatever else they’re not good at doing.

So it’s a start. There are also lifers who wouldn’t last a year in the consulting world. Then again, I’ve also seen, especially in local government, people who work WAY more hours than most people I know and for less pay. They truly believe in that ideal of service to the public as a virtue. I jaded out a long time ago, but kudos to them for fighting the good fight.
jkfunkee___

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbrady wrote:

i guess i should have made clear that it's MY experience im referencing.
i also wasn't referring to the degreed state employees, more the ones the general public has interaction with; i.e. myself.
at the water dept, driver services, etc...these people wouldn't survive in the workforce with the same disposition they exhibit to the paying customers.
GA isn't a union state, go to a state where unions are prevalent and the story will be different.
djy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J/Mark, just curious, how often are people fired/promoted/given raises based on individual performance?
thenewday007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this forum.By the way,I am a newer here.

RS Gold | Buy Maple Story Mesos | buy wow gold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LunarMagazine.com Forum Index -> Politics and Philosophy All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: